As they say, time flies when you’re having fun!
Can you believe it’s been six years already??
Lollipop Photography is six years old today!
In truth, I’ve never actually officially celebrated the anniversary of the company. I even had to look up the official IRS registration filing document to figure out when it was.
Because that’s how crazy-fast these six years have flown by.
Birthing a Business
Most of my clients know the story of how Lollipop came to be, but just in case not, here’s a quick history:
- My mother was a wedding photographer
forcedoffered to let me help her out since age 12
- She gave me a camera and a roll of film at age 16 and was told to “go crazy” during the wedding day (as crazy as one can get with a single roll of film)
- I liked photography, but wanted to be an accountant
- Took photos on the side for friends and family throughout college and early adulthood
- Didn’t want to become official because I didn’t think I could manage a full-time job and a photography business at the same time
- Because I don’t half-ass anything (actual life motto, y’all)
- Worked in “corporate America” for 14 years
- Quit my job and thought, “hmmm…maybe I’ll try this photography thing”
- That decision was made in April 2011
- Officially started my business May 3, 2011
- By July of that same year, I was fully booked
And here we are.
Another Year Older, Another Year Wiser
Oh, there have been struggles along the way. I have made every mistake in the book.
I’m still trying to figure out what this company should look like in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years.
But I think we’ve managed to create something pretty amazing.
- I’m so grateful. For all of my clients, friends, and family who have supported me throughout the years and keep coming back to trust me to document their family’s legacy. Thank you.
- I’m so proud. Of the beautiful images we’ve created over the past years. Of this sweet little business that supports my family.
- I’m so humbled. For all of the hard lessons I’ve learned along the way. Running a business isn’t easy. I’ve made so many missteps along the way. Learn a lesson, move on, and try again.
Icing on the Cake
While searching for photos for this post, I stumbled across this photo of one of my very first clients. I’ve been taking photos of her for six years.
How cool is this progression?!?
I wish I could say that this comparison photo was totally planned, but I had long forgotten about her newborn photos. Happy accident, gorgeous girl.
We’ve turned Lollipop Photography into a teeny tiny baby into something quite sophisticated and amazing.
Lollipop is basically a kindergartner!
Make a Wish
A friend recently recommended I read The Alchemist, which turned out to be the best book I’ve read in my entire life.
Like, seriously, people….if you haven’t read this book, drop everything and go get it.
It will change your life.
There are so many incredibly inspiring words of wisdom sprinkled throughout the charming story of a man trying to reach his dream, but here’s my absolute favorite:
When you want something, all the universe conspires to help you achieve it.”
Thank you to everyone who has helped me follow my dream.
Looking forward to taking it to the next level in the years to come.
And Many More…
I’m ending with this photo of my happy desk from this morning.
I stumbled across the quote above my desk yesterday when I was looking for things for our office inspiration wall.
It’s been my motto for 2017.
It is a LITERAL sign from the universe, you guys.